CONTINUING PRACTITIONER EDUCATION POINTS INFORMATION
It is the responsibility of anyone in professional life to keep themselves updated with developments within their profession. This should be a routine part of a continuing practice protocol. It should consist of a planned, well balanced program of updates obtained from a variety of media consistently throughout each and every year.
It is CMA policy that all practicing members undertake continuing education throughout each year. The current minimum hours required to renew membership each year is 20 Units, which equates to approximately 20 hours. Evidence of CPE is required to be provided and may take the form of a certificate of attendance and/or attainment. This document should state the hours involved as well as the date of attendance or completion.
A wide range of activities are recognized within the CMA’s CPE programme. To assist members to acquire their CPE units per year, easily and in a manner to suit their time frame and possible remote location, these activities are detailed in the table below.
Download a copy of a CPE points recording card HERE
CMA CPE POLICY DETAIL
- be fair and equitable to all members from all financial, regional and lifestyle factors.
- offer variety in both content and method of delivery.
- include training for all aspects of Naturopathic practice.
- encourage group activities, communication between members and networking.
- encourage members to conduct presentations and thus broaden their skills while educating others.
- 20 Units per year
- Additional units acquired in any one year may be carried over into the next year. (Max 10 units carried over)
Submission of evidence: (copies only required)
- Members are encouraged to submit the required evidence of each chosen, completed activity, to the Federal Administration Office, as they are completed throughout the year, rather than at the end of each year. This allows more time to acquire further points if needed and also avoids the potential mis-placement of information by members.
- The units will be entered onto the membership data base as they are submitted and automatically entered onto your membership renewal form, sent out to you each June.
- Members can contact the administration office at anytime to track their units throughout the year.
- All original evidence of CPE completion should be kept by the practitioner.
- It is the practitioner’s ultimate responsibility to produce such evidence if required in the future.
- The CMA accepts no responsibility for the accidental loss of copies kept within its files.
Non practicing members:
- While encouraged to continue CPE, there is no requirement for non-practicing members to conform to the CMA’s CPE policy.
- They are required to conform as soon as they return to practice.
- New graduates are automatically awarded 20 CPE units in their first year of joining the CMA.
- It is members responsibility to obtain and forward appropriate proof of CPE points to the Administration office so that it can be added to your membership records.
HOW TO EARN YOUR POINTS
CPE Points table
|Attendance Full Day||Seminar, Workshop, Conference etc||Duly certified attendance documentation||8|
|Attendance Half Day||Seminar, Workshop, Conference etc||Duly certified attendance documentation||4|
|Attendance <1/2 Day||Seminar, Workshop, Conference etc||Duly certified attendance documentation||1 p/hr|
|Courses 20hrs +||Undertaken with government accredited education bodies||Statement of attainment||20|
|Post Graduate Study||In complementary medicine at a tertiary level via a government accredited education body||Statement of attainment||20|
|CMA State Auxillary||Participation in any official CMA State Auxiliarymeeting and/or activities||Duly certified ‘CMA Auxillary’ attendance document||1 p/hr|
|CMA Online Service||Reviewing articles and completing questionnaires in the online service directory||Submitting the online questionnaire.Unit value indicated on each article.||2 ea|
|Publishing||An article in a peer reviewed publicationAuthor or co-author of a published book concerning the practice of naturopathy||Copy of article or evidence of publication||1 p/pg20 p/pub|
|Giving Presentations||At a seminar, workshop or conference etc attended by health professionals||Evidence of presentation e.g advertising material outlining details, speaker, times etc.||5 p/hr|
|Clinic Library Additions||The purchase of educational items, CD ROM’s, audios of seminars, technical manuals, texts etc||Sales receipt/evidence of purchase or aquisition||5|
|Paid Subscriptions||Paid subscriptions to journals, publications or newsletters concerning the practice of naturopathy||Payment records, copy front cover. Must include date of item||5|
|Free Subscriptions||Free subscriptions to journals publications or newsletters concerning the practice of naturopathy||Copy front cover / forwarded copy of online newsletter. Must include date of item||2|
|First Aid Level II(Senior First Aid)||Upon completing the required certificate or updates||Statement of attainment||5|
|Other First Aid||Other than the above e.g – CPR||Evidence of completed component/as above||2|
|Telephone||Professional educational activities such as interactive conference calls||Duly certified attendance document||1 p/hr|
There are many online subscriptions, newsletters & journals, both free and paid available to help earn CPE points, below is a list of just a portion of them. The easiest way to provide evidence of subscriptions to the Administration office is to forward a copy of the received email to email@example.com.
NB: Points are only allocated to each subscription NOT to each edition of a subscription.
Free subscriptions (worth 2 points each)
Paid Subscriptions (worth 5 points each)
Download a copy of a CPE points recording card HERE